Suzdal Tour by Angel Tour: +7 (926) 435 8687, +79-ANGEL-TOUR
Suzdal Tour of Golden Ring Tour
Suzdal Tour is one of the main parts of Golden Ring Tours. Suzdal is an ancient town, part of the Golden Ring route. Suzdal is the administrative center of Suzdalsky District. Suzdal is almost 250 km east of Moscow.
The history of Suzdal dates back to as early as 1024. Suzdal functioned as the capital of several Russian principalities over several centuries. It forms part of the Golden Ring tour, one of its most beautiful part – along with tour to Sergiev Posad.
Archaeological excavations in Suzdal show there was a settlement there as early as in the X c. We won’t be able to visit those excavation sites during our Suzdal Tour of Golden Ring Tour but just as they show that in the XI c. Suzdal was a rich land so will our Suzdal Tour show you the treasures of Suzdal.
Brief history to read before taking Suzdal Tour
In 1107 Volga Bulgarians came on Suzdal. After their attack Monomakh built the first Christian Cathedral of Suzdal – the Assumption Cathedral. Learn more about famous cap of Monomakh in the Moscow Kremlin Tour.
Yuri Dolgorukiy ran Suzdal principality after Monomakh. Learn about his ‘founding’ Moscow in Moscow City Tour. He called Suzdal a capital town and placed his residence in neighbouring Kideksha. During the Suzdal tour you will be able to visit the oldest church of North Eastern Rus there. He also took a waterway along the Kamenka River till Suzdal under his control. After frequent enemy invasions and local uprisings he built ramparts around Suzdal which have survived. Merchants and craftsmen started to come to Suzdal.
Then Suzdal nobility asked Andrey Bogolyubsky to be the prince of Suzdal. He moved the capital of the principality from Suzdal and built an amazing monastery and church which we usually visit during the Suzdal Tour.
After his death, residents of Suzdal tried to get more independence fo Suzdal, but failed. Suzdal continued to grow.
Mongol-Tartar invasion of 1237-1238 didn’t pass over Suzdal. Mongol hordes raided Suzdal. Suzdal was burnt and plundered; almost all citizens of Suzdal were killed or captured. In 1257 Suzdal was laid under tribute. In those years Suzdal became a centre of religious life.
In 1392 the Horde entitled Moscow prince Vasili to Suzdal principality. It meant the end of Suzdal’s independence. By early XVI c. Suzdal was under the reign Moscow. Icon painters, chasers appeared that time in Suzdal. Trading quarter Posad was built on the eastern side of Suzdal.
Polish-Lithuanian invaders destructed Suzdal in early XVII c. and left a visible mark on Suzdal’s image as in 1608 they took Suzdal and burnt it. In 1611 they destroyed Suzdal again. Traces of those tragic events remained in the image of Suzdal and in the memory of the citizens of Suzdal for a very long period of time. Suzdal participated in a struggle against the invaders. Russian peoples’ volunteer army was co-led in 1612 by Dmitry Pozharsky, a prince of Suzdal, who you can see during Red Square tour.
XVII c. was the most unlucky period for Suzdal. In early XVII c. Suzdal saw bad harvests and peasants’ mutinies. In 1634 Crimean Tatars came to Suzdal. In 1644 the town was given away as a dowry to Danish prince Waldemar for Irina, the daughter of Russian tsar Mikhail Romanov. A conflagration of 1646 destroyed Suzdal and pox of 1654 annihilated almost half the population of Suzdal.
After these misfortunes of the first half of XVII century, Suzdal came alive again. Famous builder Beklemishev (who partook in the construction of the Moscow Kremlin) was sent to Suzdal from Moscow and raised new walls with towers around the Suzdal Kremlin.
In 1708 Suzdal became a district town of Moscow gubernia which was divided into 9 provinces and Suzdal became a centre of a separate province. In 1714 the first school in Suzdal was opened. In 1720 Dmitry Vinogradov was born in Suzdal, inventor of Russian china.
The early XVIII c. was hard for Suzdal. The Northern War and S-Petersburg construction, started by Peter the Great led the town to new troubles: people and capital were needed. Suzdal monasteries had to give their peasants for works. In 1719 a vast conflagration happened in Suzdal and a plague annihilated half of Suzdal population.
Despite everything people reconstructed Suzdal. Monastery construction in Suzdal decreased, but Suzdal churches became stone. In 1776 Suzdal became a district town and got a new coat of arms – white falcon on a blue field.
In 1788 in the time of Catherine II, a new general plan of Suzdal was designed. After reconstruction Suzdal borders included not only old central part, but also monasteries and trade suburbs. A new straight street was built – Vasilyevskaya, after a name of a monastery which we can also visit during the Suzdal tour.
In 1806-1811 Trading Rows (included in Suzdal Tour) were built in the centre of Suzdal, where foreigners traded too. The main street of Suzdal became a place where native merchants constructed their buildings, some of which have been preserved and is now the centre of Suzdal tours.
Families of Suzdal farmed mostly and had vegetables and fruit gardens which you can still see nowadays during the Suzdal Tour. They took about 1 ton of fresh vegetables for a market every year, excluding potatoes and cabbages. Also crafts were developing here just as well as in Sergiev Posad.
Nicolas II family’s tour of Suzdal in 1913 became the last memorable event in Suzdal history before 1917.
The end of WWII gave relief to people but not to historical monuments of Suzdal. The reconstruction of Suzdal monuments was often followed by using them for domestic needs again. In early 1960-s Suzdal started attracting more tourists; guided group tours to Suzdal started to arrive from Moscow. In 1961-1963 a new road to Suzdal was built instead of the old one, making easier a way to Suzdal for tourists.
Mid 1960-s saw an inrush of tourists to Suzdal. Most of them were foreign tourists on Golden Ring tours. Number of tourists rose every year: in 1967 Suzdal was toured by 366 000 tourists, 2 years later over 700 000 toured Suzdal. Today over a million tourists tour Suzdal annually.